A Travellerspoint blog

March 2015

Lee Wick Farm Glamping

Claire, Reggie and Me!

So Glamping Day arrived. The car was packed and we were off just after 10am.

The initial plan was to go to Saffron Walden and speak to Chris about the GT. TomTom estimated that we'd be there at 11.24am. In the we had to abort as it was way after that and we were still stuck in traffic some 60 miles away and we had the glampsite to go to.

I emailed Chris and as he was away today (Saturday) it will have to be another date.

We made a stop at the services at Thurrock to let Reggie go for a pee and stretch his legs, and then we set off again for the glampsite. Despite the actual roads not matching the Google map image, we arrived in good time and of the three pods, we were the first to arrive. The key is kept in a small key holder and we had the combination!

The pod is quite spacious inside, with the front half having the table and chairs on one side and the futon on the other. At the back is the kitchenette and the bed opposite, the en-suite at the back.

The shower facilities are catered for in Pod 1 by the addition of a "shower shed".

So darned clean and undamaged!

So darned clean and undamaged!

Our Pod

Our Pod

Once we had unpacked and settled in we needed lunch and so we headed back put to St Osyth itself and looked for the dog friendly pub that the information book in the pod mentioned. With internet being crap the info came in handy.

We parked opposite the Red Lion and Claire went to check. A pint of bitter and a plate of ham, eggs and chips later and we were ready to face the rest of the day. Claire had Diet Coke BTW.

Then we were back at the pod, it was getting like the car knew its way. Our next trip out was to St Osyth Beach. Once clear of the town we crossed some farm land and then entered "caravan world".

We parked up by the Sailor Boy complex and parked. Free parking by the seaside? Too amazing for words. The beach is a bit scabby but the sea wall provides a path that extends a long way either way from here.


On the way back we needed cash and ended up driving to Tesco at Clacton to use the ATM, and buy batteries for the torch. They said we needed a torch as the site has no lights. Luckily, the Insignia does have lights fitted!.

Back at the pod we dug into the crisps and coffee whilst Reggie had his dinner, then we were off again, this time to the Chinese takeaway in St Osyth.

Dinner was taken reading kindles and magazines whilst the England football (soccer to my US friends) played on the DAB radio.

Once we'd chilled we took Reggie out for his walk. It was dark and although we thought the road through the farm and stable yard was just a drive way, it appears to be a road judging by the mopeds and cars speeding along it. So our walk wasn't as good as we would have liked.

Come Saturday morning we'd had a reasonable night sleep, Reggie barking a few times and a few of him on the bed with us. The owners don't want dogs on the beds or the futon, but we had loads of throws with us to ensure that if he did climb up there would be no marks or muddy feet.

Saturday morning we had a lay in, and then breakfast, pack the car up, quick tidy around, and then we were off to Claire's sister via another trip to Sailor Boy and walk the other way to wards the Martello Tower. The beach at Jaywick is a little better than St Osyth itself, and Reggie enjoyed the walk and the sand between his toes.

TomTom then decided that although it was working perfectly with routes planned and imported, it locked out when trying to plan a route from scratch on the unit. Luckily, once clear of the area, Google maps on Claire's Android phone started to work and apart from a wrong turn by Colchester football ground where the A134 is signposted but doesn't exist, we arrived okay.

Sally and Ian have a Labrador called Paddy, and he and Reggie made friends in seconds, running around the garden at rocket pace, tumbling and playing that wore them both out.


All in all, it was a great early weekend! The pod was really cool and it is enthused us for the holiday in Scotland later in the year.

Posted by InvictaMoto 06:14 Archived in England Comments (0)